maddy

Monday, June 06, 2005

Eating out!

I started it all.One fine day I told my Dad very worriedly that my mom spends too much time in the kitchen and shes gonna dissolve in the sambhar some day soon.I suggested that he cooks on Sundays..He alternatively suggested that we go out for lunch on Sundays.
This was not new.We keep planning something like this but it never works.But this time we were determined to make it work.
It was also decided that my dad and me will pick up the bill every alternate week.gulp!Too bad, I dont get pocket money anymore.But me being a sweet daughter ,I gave in.

Last Sunday was the day we were gonna put our plan into action.We set out at 1 o'clock.We decided to go to MTR,near Lalbagh.If you are in Bangalore this is The place for authentic Karnataka food or so I've been told.
Reached.
Doors closed.
:-((
How can a place be closed for lunch at one????We were told that we will have to wait for atleast 2 hours.No thanks!

We decided on Nandini next.This place serves Andhra food.Yumm!!Hot n spicy.
Lal Bagh to Jayanagar.Got into the restaraunt.I dunno about spicy,but hot, it defintely was.It was stuffy and filled with people.It reminded me of a bee hive.There was no place to stand.Seriously whats happening to our population???It looked like they were giving free food.
I gave my name to the manager.My name was at the end of the sheet after 3 sheets!!!
I stood and waited and waited and waited...My stomach was grumbling and my dad was grumbling too.Why do people pick on me when they are bugged? I started wondering if it was my dad or Walter Vertrivel standing next to me.Hmph!And there are certain things which can just get on to your nerves.
If I have to say it in Ramana style "Tamizhla enakku pidikaadha moone moonu varthai-Naa appove sonnen"
Anger and Hunger was killing me.I crawled from where I was standing to somewhere close to the tables.My luck, in sometime a table was cleared and I just sneaked in.Normally Iam an honest person.But Iam sure that I was exempted from all sins that day.I called my dad.My brother exclaimed suspiciously"Hey!Adhukkulla seat kadachuduthha?!"
I hissed back "Edho medical collegela seat kadachha maadhiri,vaaya moodu!!"
Finally we were seated.My aching legs! I usually scan the menu for atleast 15 mins.That day I did not even care to look at the menu.We ordered in a jiffy.
I looked for something edible on the table to munch on before our food arrived.There was nothing except tooth picks and tissue.Shucks!

It was almost 3 o 'clock.Bored I was looking around .Next to our table there was this huge group of about 15 people.They made me want to bang on the table and shout "Order!Order!"
They always laughed together
"Ha ha ha ha"
"Hee hee hee hee"
"ha ha ha hee hee hee"
"heh ha heh ha"(Donkey??)
I was silently wondering if it was some laughter therapy(Can't they stick to the beach/park?") or mebbe some experiment on their vocal chords.

My thought process was interrupted.Food!!I attacked,gobbled,swallowed.Who cares about table manners?My dad and brother were doin the same.But my mom!! I do not know from where my mom gets all the energy.She has this habit of commenting non-stop on the food when we eat out.She has to say a word about the ingredients used and not used. Usually I pitch in and give my expert culinary comments but I kept my head almost burried in the plate.The food kept me busy.But I made up for it later.We discussed pickles all the way back home.
Cawliflower pickle was what I liked the most.I learnt not to gape at Andhra pickles when my Telugu roomie in college introduced me to Drumstick pickles.But still,Cawliflower pickle is something exotic!
Finally reached home.
Aah!And I don't think Ill want to repeat this routine again.These things never work!!


20 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Temple Tiger said...

Ah! a pleasant sunday in bangalore.
At least the story had a happy ending your mom did'nt have to cook and you all did like some part of the cuisine even if it was the pickle!

Thats a happy ending. Does the adventure continue next sunday?

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Prabha said...

Not only the pickles..I loved the entire meal :)
Mebbe some other adventure next sunday

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Vivhyd said...

Haha nice one!! I have always wondered why mom sits in the kitchen for 5-6 hrs from morning cooking when I take a cool 20-30 min..I guess all moms are like that... Hey instead of going out!! U should cook on Sunday or perhaps couple of days... Poor moms.. As for the crowd..

It always so bugging in a restaurant when ppl shout and talk... for heavens sakes.. we are there to eat and not to shout... :)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Baejaar said...

vivhyd was right. Instead of asking dad to cook, why dont u "experiment" a bit. (atleast some thing other than dosas ;-) )

Meanwhile having come all the way to Jayanagar, you should have headed on to Utsav. I tried only once in Nandini and that was the last. The tables are so close to each other, crowded and the ambience is so bad that only Woodies matches it. Nandini's food is very good but then we go out for more than food.

If you havent been to Utsav (Jayanagar), do so this weekend. The nice ambience - soft music (atleast most of the time), tables arent very far apart but you get the privacy. You dont involuntarily eaves drop on others conversations. I can continue the rant but let me leave it to you to explore.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Sriram said...

I'm seriously laughing my ass off!your culinary skills eh?:)).. seri seri.. edho chinna ponnu..pozhachi po...btw,,the restaurant being closed when you are hungry is not your fault.. it is Murphy's fault!!! Damn Murphy! #^%$*@ (expletives)... Oh and forget about privacy in indian restaurants! Once when I decided to take a friend to Saravana Bhavan (annanagar) there was an inquisitve woman who pestered me as to what I was eating. She wanted to know if the friend was "the one I was gonna marry" and so on. I finally had to give her a roundhouse kick to knock her out... :D

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger saranyan r said...

andhra spicy food is worth even a 5 hr wait :) I too wanted to go to MTR, but always stayed back fearing the wait time. high time they open more branches and increas the capacity.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Eroteme said...

hahahahahaha :-)) (well, I am not laughing loudly ;-)

You have a great sense of humour. And you capture it well in this piece...

Glad to find someone who dislikes noise. I thought I was being a pain in being so demanding. Phew! What a relief...

"My stomach was grumbling and my dad was grumbling too"
:-)

Can't you order food home? No heat, no waiting, there will always be something to munch on at home...

Try your hand at cooking too (not those sticky dosas, but something else... ;-)

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Art said...

that was a nice one... Even our family plans out for lunch or dinner outside, most of the time it ends up in something else... but its always nice to have lunch/dinner with family. :)
Hey good option... y dont u cook on sundays... i am sure ur mom will be very happy. My mom would think that i have gone crazy or something is wrong with me if i tell her that every week i will cook.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Prabha said...

vivhyd,
u finish cookin the entire meal in 20-30 mins?thats fast!!
i think ill take mebbe one hour..
thats not bad either,right?;)
hmm..mebbe i shud try cookin on sundays..the thing is my mom is very possessive about the kitchen..doesnt like me messing up :)

Baejaar,
u seem to be a big utsav fan..i have been there once..i dont prefer punjabi food..and when i went there i got all burnt rotis..!!:(

Sriram,
theres nothing to laugh about...hmph!!iam a pretty good cook..i can cook almost everything..except mebbe payasam and all..
about the saravana bhavan..aha..!!i see a US return there..Indian Restaurants?;)

saranyan,
Ive been there once bfore..and their food is real yummy..worth the wait..but they dont even reserve over fone!

Eroteme,
Thanks!!!:) u r allowed to laugh loudly!
i find ordering food very boring..i do it only if iam alone!
but looks like the most peaceful solution :)

Art,
Yea!my mom would gimme a weird look if i volunteer to cook..she wud think that i have some kinda plan behind my back :)

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Prabha said...

Lee,
someone is really kanjhufied in US ;)

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Deepu George V said...

Its the opposite here. We cook at home during Sundays and Saturdays because the other days we don't get enough time to do that. Or we go out for a picnic, some where outside Bangalore. Never ever I will go to Nandini again, I had such a bad experience from there

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Vivhyd said...

@ prabha..
Well it was an exaggeration.. but 1 hr is perfectly ok as long as food is good. I know.. Moms are feel Kitchen is their domain and have an "thou shall not give up cooking" attitude... come whatever may.. :)

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Prabha said...

Deepu,
Why do u wanna have bad food even during weekends?;)
Nandini is not such a bad place..its average..better than woodys anyday..aah..

vivhyd,
thot so @ exaggeration..u can make only maggi if its 20 mins ;)
and yup..u r perfectly right about mothers :)

Prabz,
yaaru andha alagaana ponnu?;)
naa dhaan enime cook panna poren..gonna make breakfast tomo..lets see how it turns out..
boyfriend oda poi erundha... :)mebbe eppadi dhaan erundhirukkum..

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Living in the US we can't eat in MTR...but I certainly buy a lot of MTR products. They are good indeed.

I've heard very good reviews about MTR even in Chennai. I tried it in 2003 and I liked it.

About Andhra hotels there are tons of them here in the San Francisco Bay area. I like all of them.

I liked your post and I just stepped out to see If I can get some snack to eat...Decided that I'll have a fruit.!

By the way, you didn't tell us what you ate? What did you order.?

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger F e r r a r i said...

Narayanan Sir,

MTR puilodharai, gulab jamun packets are good. But their hotel and food is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!! And their customer service is the most horrible one.

Prabha,

Jayanagar 4th block la cool joint kku mela there is a hotel called Pavithra. It is not much crowded and the food is also good. Next time, try there

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Prabha said...

Arch Storm,
:) can imagine the state u must be in ..

Narayanan,
Thanks!!
I dont like MTR products much..I think this restaurant does not belong to the same organisation..but am not sure!!
You decided to have a fruit for a snack..hope its not a grape ;)
dieting?
I ordered for a complete meal :D

KaediKan1000,
enna edhu ferrari..pudhu peru??
why why why????
MTR food is not baaaaaaad..its kinda ok..i dont like the ambience..but the food is ok..
mebbe u went on the wrong day..:D

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am with everyone else Prabha, I think you should cook on Sundays :)

And same question to Ferrari. Why? Why?

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Known Stranger said...

andhra food., karnatka food, tamil nadu food, marti food, pujabi, conganess food, kerala food, UP bhaiya food, calcutta food, thai, korean, chineese, assamee. These are the food i had tasted.. but of all i love is andhra that makes the taste buds sweat. love it. next is karnataka dosa. every time i wander the interior of karnatka, i wonder what ingredians they use to make it. and raghi balls., wonderful of karnataka food.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger che sara sara said...

tat was a preety unforgetable experience...do u know cooking prabha....

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Prabha said...

Uma,
will try!:)
and ferrari is not answering :?

Known stranger,
thats the whole range :)
u shud taste madras masala dosa..i like that the best :D

LW,
next time ill take care not to plan
home food is the best always :)

Sophia,
Yes,i can cook :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home